The world’s first Polar Journey exhibit adjacent to Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay is now open. The interactive exhibit gives guests a glimpse into the Earth’s Polar Regions and the animals that call them home.
“Polar Journey offers curious guests an up-close look at a vital part of our world that they may not otherwise experience,” said Adrienne Rowland, director of animal care at Shark Reef Aquarium in a statement. “Visitors are encouraged to explore the many fascinating aspects of the Polar Regions and we expect they will walk away with a greater appreciation for the importance of the Polar Regions on our planet.”
The Polar Regions are recreated through eight interactive scenes:
- Ice Caps: Here guests are transported to the Arctic and Antarctica through an informational film. They will take it all in under a domed screen and reclining chairs.
- Fractured Beauty: Experience cracked ice structures in 3D without 3D glasses.
- Swarming: Watch as penguin robots demonstrate how they survive in the Polar Regions by acting as a swarm.
- Feeding Krill: Interact with underwater polar creatures through an interactive wall projection. Guests can even virtually feed krill to the animals and see them move underwater.
- Ice Fractures: See the effects of global warming by journeying over floating sheets of ice in the deep blue. As you journey watch as the ice cracks beneath, creating stunning formations.
- Sea Explorer: Travel to the Arctic in a submarine in the Sea Explorer. Thanks to this CGI, 270-degree panoramic view motion ride experience you’ll experience the region while it feels like you sit in a submarine.
- Polar Science: Learn more about the Polar Regions through interactive games in Polar Science. Listen to Arctic sounds in special cocoon chairs, take a photo with polar bears, and challenge each other through memory games and more.
Polar Journey is open now through February 2018 Sunday – Thursday, 9:30 a.m. – 8 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 9:30 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Las Vegas, NV – 3/23/17
By: Jena Pugh